During the time of the COVID-19 epidemic, it has caused many different impacts on human society including Thai people as well. Many have lost their jobs, lost their income, or went bankrupt. Many have lost their loved ones without even saying their final goodbyes. As many things happened, fear and anxiety took over the mind. Therefore, humans must try to find ways to relax and adapt. To reduce unwanted stress or anxiety. Many people find a way out by doing mentally relaxing activities such as cooking, planting trees, etc., Cactus is another alternative plant that people grow during the COVID-19 outbreak. That allows the growers to relax with a small plant that looks strange with many species. There are different shapes depending on the species. Some species stand out with beautiful flowers. The result of seeing the cactus grow and thrive is satisfying. Human body releases pleasure substances that make the body active. concentrate more and reduce anxiety.
The name “Cactus” comes from the Greek word meaning thorny tree. It is a plant that is native to most of South America. due to having to face dry weather all the time. The inside of the cactus’s stem resembles a sponge to absorb or retain water. The stems are often ribbed or fluted to allow them to expand easily to help absorb water quickly after rain.cactus is a leafless plant to reduce transpiration thus evolved to reduce leaf shape to thorns to reduce transpiration through the leaves. The thorns also act as a barrier from insects or animals that wiling to drink water from the stems.Because the inside of the cactus is like a sponge that absorbs water. The trunk is cylindrical, tall, long, similar to a baton or round, including flat oval, etc
For fashion creative approach. This project aim to emphasise the beauty and strength of
cactus using the shape of the trunk both outside and inside. The outside is full of texture and
shape which germinated in various forms. The inside showing layers and resilient of tissue within the stems. Blooming cactus flowers adding beauty aesthetic. The nature of creating a shield to protect themselves from the environment in terms of weather conditions, hot terrain and various herbivorous insects. Various technique are use to create a form of clothing and manipulate the garment. The presence of a hard shell on the outside as well as thorns that shield the soft skin on the inside. This is like a human skin that is a defense for the skin and various organs within the body as well.
Inspired by cactus, a plant popularly grown to reduce stress during the COVID-19 pandemic, researchers look through the growth process of cactus that form a protective shield.
Also evolve yourself to survive the conditions of arid climate, including insects or animals that will eat the trunk. Just as we humans are recruiting things to comfort our minds and build our own defenses against stressful and fearful states from the epidemic situation. Using a fashion process to create various shapes and textures, growth processes, the defense against the various environmental conditions of the cactus are combine to create this works.
Fabric Print, LightBox, Installation– dart stitching, which is usually used to sew clothes to shape the body But when designed in different shapes to connect or attaching, It can create a 3D shape similar to a shape of a cactus trunk.
– Smocking (Canadian smocking) Smocking It is a fashion technique that has been found in costumes since the 18th century. It involves hand sewing by holding the fabric from one point to another to form various shapes or patterns. Creating volume and flexibility from flat fabric and forming into various shapes or patterns to mimic the texture or shape of a cactus.
– Patchwork, is the cutting techniques create from difference fabric stitched together to create various patterns, often in geometric shapes. This work has brought the fabric to sew both techniques and smock first, and then they are intersected with both thick fabrics and thin fabrics to be stitched together to create dimensions To create a protective enveloping
sensation similar to the physical appearance of the cactus plant. With an outer shell wrapped around the delicate skin inside and the interesting 3D pattern from the fabric itself.
– Flowers Arts, To decorated the work with flowers that are fabricated from cactus flowers. It is a flower that shows the beauty in the drought can still be beautiful. Using the technique of heat rolling to get a shape and then assembled into a flower including the patching (Appliqué).
– Chiffon, a thin and soft fabric that represents the nature of the inner stem of cactus.
– Synthetic fabrics (polyester) the smooth and softness resembling the outer surface of the cactus.
– The color uses mainly in green tones, which is the color from the cactus. And green is a color that evokes a feeling of freshness, relieve stress and tiredness. Soothe the mind, feeling of nature, growth and fertility.
1200Px * 1200Px